Top 10 things to do when your pet goes missing:
- Look around your home under porches and bushes. Many times animals that escape are too scared to get very far away.
- Ask neighbors if they’ve seen your lost pet and to contact you if they do see them.
- Contact City of Chico Animal Services to file a lost pet report. 530-894-5630
- Visit City of Chico Animal Services to see if the animal has been brought in by the public or Animal Control. 2579 Fair Street in Chico OR View Animals at their shelter. We recommend doing an in-person visit to take a “walk-through” check for your animal, every 4 days.
- Check Northwest SPCA in Oroville and other shelters nearby (Yuba City, Willows etc.)…animals travel far and it could have been picked up by Butte County Animal Services or brought on accident to a shelter further away. Animals found in unincorporated areas of Chico would be sent to this shelter. Website – 2787 South 5th Avenue Oroville, CA 95965 – 530-533-7636
- Check your local newspaper and Craigslist for found animal listings. Post a free ad on Craigslist and consider paying for a lost ad in the newspaper.
- Consider joining the Cody Alert group on Facebook to post your lost pet.
- Make flyers including a photo and phone number and pass them out in your neighborhood.
- Call your veterinarian and make a lost report. Ask local vets if anyone has brought in an animal fitting the description.
- If your pet is microchipped, call the microchip company and file a lost report.
- Do NOT give up! Many pets are found weeks or even months after disappearing!
Reclaiming Lost Animals:
City of Chico Animal Services cares for stray animals that are brought to them by Chico Animal Control Officers and by local residents in incorporated areas of Chico. If you wish to reclaim a lost pet please contact City of Chico Animal Services at 530-894-5630.
If you have found a stray animal here is what you do immediately.
PLEASE NOTE: Bringing a found animal to shelter in the area it has been found is its best chance of finding its home again. It is NOT a Death Sentence for an animal. If the animal is not reclaimed by its owner, both Chico Animal Services and Butte Humane Society will do everything in their power to find a loving home for him/her.
If the animal has tags:
- Check identification, name tag, registration tag and/or Microchip tag.
- If you find any identification, please contact the owner or City Of Chico Animal Services as soon as possible.
If the animal does not have any tags:
- Contact the City of Chico Animal Services
- Contact your local animal welfare organizations
- Contact your local veterinarians
- Make sure you give them a thorough description of the animal including when and where you found it
- Put an ad in the local paper under the “found section” with a thorough description of the animal including when and where you found it. Most papers offer this as a free service to the community
- Ask local radio stations as some make announcements regarding found pets
- Post the animal in as many local Facebook groups as possible.